Sacha Kljestan burned his former club with his first goal of the season, lifting Orlando City SC to a 1-0 win over the New York Red Bulls Saturday night at Red Bull Arena.
Known more for his playmaking, Kljestan, who was booed by the home fans when his name was announced as part of the Lions’ starting XI, got on the end of an open Joao Moutinho cross and slipped his shot past Luis Robles.
The Red Bulls thought they had the equalizer three minutes later when Danny Royer latched onto a Marc Rzatkowski free kick and put a downward header toward the goal. But Carlos Ascues made a terrific goal-line clearance as the Red Bulls suffered their first regular-season home loss since July 28 against Columbus Crew SC.
- 73’ — ORL — Sacha Kljestan
- THE BIG PICTURE: The Lions would have been happy leaving Red Bull Arena with a draw, so they’re absolutely thrilled with taking all three points in a rough-and-tumble affair. The Red Bulls were left bruised and battered, losing Connor Lade and possibly Omir Fernandez to injury.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: There was but one goal and it was by the Red Bulls former captain. Moutinho had ample time to send in his cross and Kljestan made no mistake, burying his shot first-time.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Ascues did his part to ensure the Lions not only took all three points, but also recorded their first clean sheet of the season with a brilliant goal-line clearance.
- RBNY: Saturday, March 30 at Chicago Fire (1 pm ET | TSN5, MLS LIVE on ESPN+ in US)
- ORL: Sunday, March 31 vs. D.C. United (6:30 pm ET | FS1, MLS LIVE on DAZN in Canada)