Prep Time: 0 Hours 10 Mins
Cook Time: 1 Hours 10 Mins
Total Time: 1 Hours 20 Mins
- 1/2 cup uncooked rice
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 bell peppers, tops and cores removed
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Freshly chopped parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a small saucepan, prepare rice according to package instructions. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Cook onion until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomato paste and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Add ground beef and cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 6 minutes. Drain fat.
- Return beef mixture to skillet, then stir in cooked rice and diced tomatoes. Season with oregano, salt and pepper. Let simmer until liquid has reduced slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Place peppers cut side-up in a 9″x13″ baking dish and drizzle with oil. Spoon beef mixture into each pepper and top with Monterey Jack cheese, then cover baking dish with foil.
- Bake until peppers are tender, about 35 minutes. Uncover and bake until cheese is bubbly, 10 minutes more.
- Garnish with parsley before serving.